When the tissue that normally lines the inside of a woman’s uterus – the endometrium – grows and forms outside of her uterus, she suffers from endometriosis. Severe pelvic pain results when the endometrium grows outside of the uterus because it disturbs the functioning of a woman’s:
- Pelvic tissue lining
What is Endometriosis and How Does it Develop?
Endometrial tissue that is displaced and growing outside of a woman’s uterus functions in the same manner as normal tissue does during her menstrual cycle:
- It thickens outside of the uterus, and
- It breaks down outside of the uterus
However, because this endometrial tissue has no way in which to be expelled from the woman’s body – it becomes trapped outside of the uterus – her ovaries are adversely affected:
- Cysts – endometriosis – are formed
- Normal tissues are irritated
- Scarring tissue develops
- Adhesions form creating abnormal tissue that bind reproductive organs together
Infertility Ramifications of Endometriosis
Without proper treatment, endometriosis causes:
- Severe pain during menstrual cycles
Research has evidenced that one-third to one-half of women who are diagnosed with endometriosis have difficulty conceiving. Pregnancy is obstructed when:
- An egg is released from a woman’s ovary and begins to travel down her fallopian tube,
- Her fallopian tubes are obstructed with endometrium, and
- Her egg is unable to unite with sperm – thus, no embryo is able to be formed.
How Endometriosis Can be Treated – Best ART Doctor
A doctor specializing is Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) will best serve you should endometriosis be obstructing your ability to become pregnant.
Dr. George Kofinas – a specialist in ART for over 25 years and founder of Kofinas Fertility Institute – will guide a woman toward the best medical approach advisable to combat her conception challenges due to endometriosis depending upon her symptoms:
- Conservative laparoscopic surgery to remove the endometrium obstructing a woman’s reproductive organs, and/or
- ART – for example, in vitro fertilization (IVF).
Dr. George Kofinas has been selected by New York magazine as one of the Best Doctors in the tri-state area for 17 of the past 17 years. Dr. Kofinas has also been chosen annually as a Top Doctor in Brooklyn.
To receive the answers to the questions you have about endometriosis and how it can be effectively treated, please accept this invitation to contact Kofinas Fertility Institute.