Meet Maria Bertero
Kofinas Fertility Group's detail-oriented Laboratory Director.
Maria Bertero, MD, HCLD inspires us all at Kofinas Fertility Group in New York with her dedication to the field of fertility. Dr. Bertero has numerous published works on embryology and andrology, and she has completed extensive training all around the world in egg and embryo freezing, embryo biopsy, and more.
Previously Held Positions
- Scientific Director of the Embryology Laboratory at Kofinas Fertility Group, 2002-present
- Director of the Reproductive Endocrinology Laboratory at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, KY, 1998-2002
Training & Recognition
- Training & Recognition
- Board-certified High-Complexity Clinical Laboratory Director from the American Board of Bioanalysis, Clinical Laboratory Technologist – State of New York Department of Education
- Fellowship in Reproductive Physiology at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Urban Zonal Hospital of Pergamino in Pergamino, Buenos Aires, AR
- Doctor of Medicine from the National University of Rosario in Santa Fe, AR
- Master of Science in Clinical Embryology and Andrology from The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, in Norfolk, VA
Why Kofinas Fertility?
"I chose to become a fertility doctor because I enjoy caring helping patients bring home a baby. There are many unique challenges that patients face when planning a family and I want to help patients navigate the process and achieve their reproductive goals. I am also interested in translational research that enables us to systematically ask questions raised in the clinic and to bring the answers we find back to the clinic to advance the care we can provide our patients. I am excited to be a part of this fast-growing field that puts patient care first and that has continued to advance dramatically in the past 30+ years because of ongoing research.
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility was particularly compelling because I have the opportunity to care for patients with a range of endocrine disorders, disorders of development of the reproductive tract, and offer procedures to help patients with infertility to have a baby. Helping patients bring home a baby is a most exciting experience.
I have a patient-centered style. Every patient and their set of circumstances is unique and everyone deserves individualized care. I make every effort to listen keenly to my patients, to answer all questions, and to take the time to explain the reasons for the recommended treatment plan."
"I hope to give my patients the gift of a baby through a partnership that makes them feel valued and cared for along the way. I am lucky to be joining such a talented team of physicians and staff. I believe that my background in translational research will help advance the research mission of the practice and that my ability to work well with patients and team members of diverse backgrounds can contribute to fostering a warm and welcoming environment for all."