When it comes to getting pregnant, many people don’t realize that it can be far more difficult for some people to conceive than others. In fact, 1 out of 8 couples in America struggle to get pregnant. Unfortunately, many people suffer in silence. National Infertility Awareness Week aims to bring light to the issues these couples face, as well as help the people around them understand what they can do to help.
What is infertility?
Infertility is often described as not getting pregnant despite deliberate attempts (ex: ovulation tracking and unprotected sex) to conceive for an entire year. Infertility affects both men and women of all ages, but becomes more common after the age of 35.
When should you see a fertility specialist?
If you and your partner have been struggling to get pregnant for a year, it’s best to see a fertility specialist who can conduct fertility testing to determine what fertility issues are present and which fertility treatments are right for you.
Though the obvious sign of infertility is not getting pregnant, there are a few other reasons why you should see a fertility specialist. If you’re a woman, it’s recommended to see a fertility specialist if:
- You are 35 to 40 years of age and have been trying to conceive for six or more months
- You are over the age of 40
- You have irregular or nonexistent periods
- You have painful periods
- You have known fertility issues
- You have been diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis
- You have had multiple miscarriages
- You have undergone cancer treatment
If you’re a man, it’s recommended to see a fertility specialist if:
- You have a low sperm count or other issues with your sperm
- You’ve had testicular, prostate or sexual problems in the past
- You’ve undergone cancer treatment
- Your testicles are smaller in size or you notice swelling in the scrotum
- You have a family history of infertility
Fertility therapies catered to your needs
Your fertility therapy will depend on what your fertility assessment reveals. At Kofinas Fertility Group, we cater every treatment to your individual needs and concerns so you get the best possible outcome. Some of our most successful fertility therapies include:
- Intrauterine insemination
- Ovarian stimulation medications
- In vitro fertilization
- Genetic testing
- Donation and surrogacy
The team of experienced physicians at Kofinas Fertility Group understands that struggling with infertility can be not only difficult, but also all-consuming. Stop dealing with infertility alone. We can help. Call (718) 340-3611 to schedule your consultation today.