LGBTQ Fertility Therapy
Proud allies of New York’s LGBTQ community.
Here at Kofinas Fertility Group, we believe that everyone has the right to start a loving family. Our fertility experts have extensive experience designing fertility treatment protocols that suit the needs of your sex, gender identity, and personal preferences.
Thorough fertility evaluation and testing provides you with the best possible chance of success.
In order to maximize your chance of a successful birth, you’ll meet with one of our fertility doctors to discuss you and your partner’s desires. Depending on age and sex, one partner may be more suitable for fertility therapy. For example, women under age 33 have the best chance of successfully conceiving. Some other factors we’ll discuss at your initial evaluation include:
- Fertilization methods
- Whether you’re a single parent or a couple
- Anonymous or known egg/sperm donation
- Surrogacy or gestational carrier services
No matter what your gender or sexual orientation is, we’re committed to providing everything you need.
In order to maximize your chance of fertility success, we’ll first check for and solve any barriers to pregnancy, such as endometriosis or hormonal irregularities. After developing a plan and optimizing your fertility through therapies, we’ll generally recommend either in vitro fertilization (IVF) or intrauterine insemination. However, you do have choices! There are many approaches that lesbian couples take to fertility therapy, including:
- One partner will donate the egg, and the other will carry the pregnancy
- The partner carrying the pregnancy will also provide the egg
- Sperm donation can come from a friend, family member, or an anonymous donor
- If neither partner has an ideal uterine environment for pregnancy, we can arrange for a gestational carrier
We offer gay men (and any patient) a first-rate gestational carrier program that ensures your child develops in a healthy uterine environment. All of our gestational carriers are thoroughly screened — physically and psychologically — to minimize any risk to your new baby. After we conduct fertility testing, we’ll present you with a fertility success plan and the options available to you, which can include:
- Fertility treatment (if necessary) to maximize your chance of taking home a healthy baby
- Whether you want the egg donor and/or gestational carrier to be someone you know (friend or family member), of whether if you’d prefer to use our anonymous egg donor service
- Selecting whether you or your partner will provide the sperm (we’ll offer a recommendation based on fertility testing)
Because transgender individuals typically take hormones that render them sterile, you’ll need to discontinue your hormone use to restore your fertility. We’ll help you transition off your hormone treatment safely and provide you with an honest assessment of how fertility therapy will affect your body, as well as your chance for success. Your individual plan will vary depending on your birth sex and gender identification, and many transgender individuals and couples have left Kofinas Fertility Group as happy, new parents. With the help of our caring fertility specialists, you can also experience the unique relationship between parent and child.